I had the day off yesterday, and my lovely little sister asked me to go shopping with her. We had a fabulous time, and I found some good deals on pieces I’d been wanting. Since I’ve started reading fashion blogs, I’ve found that I don’t just go shopping aimlessly anymore; I normally have very specific things I’m looking for. Yesterday morning I made a list of the things I wanted to come home with. Sure I still pick up random things, especially if I find a good sale, but I’m beginning to think of my wardrobe less as a collection of specific outfits, and more as a collection of pieces that are versatile and endlessly combinable. If you’re curious, here’s my list from yesterday:
- Breton top (found and purchased!)
- Anchor accessories (found, but not purchased)
- Galoshes (found, but not purchased…decided I didn’t really want to pay $25-$30 for them)
- Metallic strappy wedges (not found)
- Slightly oversized blazer (not found)
- Basic white button-down (not found)
- Skinny black pants (sort-of found and purchased; I got a pair of capris, but I’m still on the lookout for longer ones)
- Scarves (found lots, but not what I wanted)
- Plain tanks (found lots, purchased one)
I also ended up buying some dresses, because I am a sucker for cute, feminine, cheap dresses. I can’t help it. Even though I bought a lot of stuff that was not on the list, and passed by a lot of the stuff that was, I think having some goals really helped me. One of the things I bought yesterday that wasn’t on the list is the dress I wore today.
I found it at Target on clearance. I love wrap dresses, and I’d been wanting one for a long time, so even though it wasn’t on my list, I felt justified buying it because I think I can wear it so many different ways. Today I kept it really simple, because I was in a hurry to get out the door this morning: just a black sweater and black sandals, and jewelry that matched the dress, instead of popping against it.
I regret to inform you that I didn’t wear this fun red lip with the dress all day. It only happened when I got home, wanted to take pictures, and realized that I looked washed out and tired. It’s too bad, because I like the red with the color of the dress. I need to do bold lips more often.
So do you shop from a list, or do you buy whatever strikes your fancy in the store?