I find myself complaining all the time, throwing out an “I’m so tired” or an “I wish it were Friday” or an “ugh, it’s so cold today.” You know, the little socially acceptable complaints that we use to make conversation, to bind us together in our mutual disappointment. But I wonder how harmful they are to me as I try to live a more contented life.
What if, instead of grumbling about the weather, I remarked on the beauty of the leaves changing color? What if I viewed it as an opportunity to wear kneesocks and drink hot chocolate? What if, instead of complaining about being tired, I thanked God for another morning? It’s hard not to look forward to the weekend, especially when that’s the only time I get to see my husband, but there is joy to be found in every single day, not just in the days that carry me away from work and back to him.
Each day is full of blessings. Today, for example, I have a cup of hot coffee on my desk. I’m having a good hair day. I woke up refreshed and excited. I’m wearing warm goldenrod tights under my trousers, and I love the flash of cheery color at my feet. I packed a simple, delicious lunch this morning. This evening, I get to see my parents and curl up with Daniel and relax. It’s nothing extraordinary, but it’s a good day, and I’m blessed to be living it.
Maybe if I start commenting on the good things, it’ll have a positive effect on my outlook, and maybe it will even challenge those around me to focus on what’s good in their lives. Maybe being joyful is a simple way for me to proclaim God’s love and goodness, and maybe I can connect with others over shared words of praise, instead of shared complaints. A smile and a hopeful word won’t take any more energy than a sigh and a grumble.
Have a great weekend, everyone. 🙂
Hello! I’m Lindsey.
- Paused Blue's Clues at the best possible moment. Steve is soooo over it. instagram.com/p/BNf5zRJgBlg/ 8 months ago
- @thelaurengraham Future reader copying your faces on the back cover. Excited to share Gilmore Girls w/her someday! https://t.co/boXMckHJKS 8 months ago
- @theavettbros Beautiful show in Columbus. Thanks for closing with No Hard Feelings. Perfect cap on a great night. ❤ 11 months ago
- @theavettbros thanks for #truesadness. Over here crying and laughing and singing and clapping along. It's truly gorgeous. 1 year ago
- @ScottAvett Thank you so much for the beauty and honesty that comes across in everything you do. Love you guys. 1 year ago